Picking the right social media platform to promote your product or brand is very important. This saves you time and funds, ensures your hit bulls-eye in terms of right audience to promote your services.
One of the key actions to perform in selecting the best-fit platform, is to constantly review the demographics distribution of the users on each platform. This enables you to determine where your kind of audience are most domiciled.
- 2.27 billion monthly active users
- 1.3 billion daily active users
- 68% of adult social media users on Facebook
It’s pretty obvious that one cannot ignore the Facebook platform when it comes to online engagements
- 1 billion monthly active users
- 500 million daily active users.
- Instagram Stories feature: 400 million daily active users.
Instagram age & gender demographics
Instagram leans towards a much younger audience than that of Facebook, appealing to teens and young adults with its straightforward, photo-centric design and ease of use.
- 72% of 13-17 year olds use Instagram
- 64% of 18-29 year olds use Instagram
- 40% of 30-49 year olds use Instagram
- 21% of 50-64 year olds use Instagram
- 10% of 65+ year olds use Instagram
The platform also is more popular among women than men, with 39% of online women using Instagram vs. 30% of online men.
Twitter is incredibly popular amongst its user base, and also has become an exceptional platform for brands to use for social customer service.
Twitter age & gender demographics
As one of the last remaining social networks with a chronological feed (for the most part), Twitter has stayed a favorite for many of its users. Most popular with people in their 20s, the breakdown of Twitter user demographics shows that the platform is preferred by those in younger age ranges.
- 32% of 13-17 year olds use Twitter
- 40% of 18-29 year olds use Twitter
- 27% of 30-49 year olds use Twitter
- 19% of 50-64 year olds use Twitter
- 8% of 65+ year olds use Twitter
Perhaps surprisingly, Twitter demographics for gender reveal that the spread of women vs. men on the platform is nearly even.
- 24% of online women use Twitter
- 23% of online men use Twitter
LinkedIn is the number one platform when it comes to B2B social media marketing. Known for connecting professionals, LinkedIn has over 590 million registered users.
LinkedIn age & gender demographics
- 29% of 18-29 year olds use LinkedIn
- 33% of 30-49 year olds use LinkedIn
- 24% of 50-64 year olds use LinkedIn
- 9% of 65+ year olds use LinkedIn
The percentage of online women and men on the social media platform is equal.
- 25% of online women use LinkedIn
- 25% of online men use LinkedIn
Pinterest is a visual search engine that has revolutionized online shopping on their platform. With 250 million monthly active users and over 175 billion items pinned, it’s created an entirely new way to shop for products. In fact, 61% of pinners have made a purchase after seeing a product on Pinterest.
Pinterest age & gender demographics
Although more popular with younger users, an overview of Pinterest demographics shows it still has a steady user base across all age ranges.
- 34% of 18-29 year olds use Pinterest
- 34% of 30-49 year olds use Pinterest
- 26% of 50-64 year olds use Pinterest
- 16% of 65+ year olds use Pinterest
Although a higher percentage of online women use the platform, 50% of all new signups are men.
- 41% of online women use Pinterest
- 16% of online men use Pinterest
Snapchat came along as a disappearing messaging app and has quickly turned into a common way for teens and young adults to chat with each other on their smartphones. Although it’s been recently outshined by Instagram Stories, another version of disappearing updates and messages, Snapchat still has 186 million daily active users.
Snapchat age & gender demographics
Snapchat’s strength is in its appeal to younger audiences, and many of its users visit the platform multiple times a day.
- 69% of 13-17 year olds use Snapchat
- 68% of 18-29 year olds use Snapchat
- 26% of 30-49 year olds use Snapchat
- 10% of 50-64 year olds use Snapchat
- 3% of 65+ year olds use Snapchat
More women than men use the messaging platform.
- 31% of online women use Snapchat
- 23% of online men use Snapchat
Tags: social media demographics 2019, facebook demographics, twitter demographics, pinterest demographics, linkedin demographics, instagram demographics, digital marketing
Source: Source: http://www.pewinternet.org/2018/03/01/social-media-use-in-2018/